So, you are getting married! Congratulations! Your engagement signals a new chapter of your life together, but before that can happen, you’ll need to book the perfect wedding photographer to capture all of the details and precious moments of the best day of your life!
While there are a lot of choices when it comes to photographers in Indiana, it’s imperative to ask the right questions when interviewing potential photographers so that you choose the one that is a perfect fit for you! Personally, I recommend that you have a face-to-face meeting with the photographer to get a better grasp of their personality and how their services will fit your needs. Do not talk to a sales representative, talk to the actual photographer so that you’ll know who you’ll be working with on the big day and see if your styles and personalities mesh well together. Remember, the relationship with your photographer is incredibly important because you’ll be working with them before the wedding (engagement session, planning appointments, etc) as well as the entire length of the wedding day and even long after the wedding when it comes to ordering your albums, parent albums, reprints, etc.
During the initial meeting, make sure to view several weddings from their albums or portfolio, not just the best select few photos they’d like to represent. The photographer should take interest in you, your fiancé, your love story and your wedding day to really get to know you as individuals and as a couple so that he or she can tell your wedding story as best as possible through the photographs. They should explain their background, their services, show you sample albums and images and answer any questions you may have throughout the consultation. The photographers you meet with should be able to provide client testimonials but make sure you also do your homework beforehand and Google their business to establish what kind of reviews they have online.
Take note of the little things before, during and after your initial meeting too. Did he or she respond promptly to your emails? Did they come prepared for your meeting? Was he/she dressed professionally? Could you envision this person getting along well with your friends and family? Did they ask pertinent questions and take notes during the meeting? Did they go the extra mile and create a wedding day photo schedule based on your needs? Did they clearly state how much they would charge, including any extras you want included in the package? Did you absolutely love their work? Did they follow up with you after your meeting?
All of these things matter when it comes to choosing the right person to document your wedding day. You definitely want to hire someone who is responsive, professional, easy to talk to and who is fun to be around because in the end, the photographs are the only thing you’ll have left to remember the greatest day of your life! If you’re searching for an Indiana wedding photographer, contact us today to check availability of your wedding date!
Spring will be here before we know it and most brides are starting to think about their Spring engagement sessions at this point, so today we wanted to give you some fabulous location ideas for your upcoming Spring engagement portraits in Indy!
- Monument Circle – We love shooting at the Monument because not only can you utilize the actual Monument in your photos but also Market Street, where you can see the Indiana State House in the background and there are some cool alleyways nearby if you’re looking for a more urban, downtown look to your photos!
- The Canal – The downtown canal is beautiful and very Indy-esque! Depending on where you shoot along the canal, you can usually see the Indy skyline in the background along with the canal, bridges, waterfalls, graffiti artwork and some nature paths along the route. Also, the Government Center is nearby too, which can make for some cool photos along the walkway and with the State House in the background! It’s a great location for couples who want some city scenery as well as some nature scenery in their photos.
- Holcomb Gardens – Holcomb is located at the Butler campus and it’s for nature lovers at heart! The lush green lawn, budding trees, flowers, fountain, bridge & gazebo make it a great spot for Spring engagement photos. Couples who want to incorporate their dogs in their photos tend to choose this spot because there are less people and cars to distract their pets; dogs do great here!
- The Village of West Clay – West Clay, located at Main Street & Towne Road in Carmel, is another great spot with a variety of backgrounds to choose from. The homes are quaint, well kept and the landscaping is perfectly manicured year round. There’s charming little shops, colorful historically inspired architecture, a beautiful fountain, several different gazebos overlooking ponds, and beautiful landscaping to include in your photos there. We love shooting there at sunset too, it’s a great spot for Spring sunset shoots since the area is wide open and the sunset views aren’t obstructed.
- Mass Ave – If you love the artistic city life, Mass Ave is another great option! It features adorable artsy shops, colorful doorways, brick walls, little alleyways and some greenery here and there that you can incorporate into your session.
- Broadripple – Broadripple is very similar to Mass Ave with its charming shops, graffiti walls, & alleyways to utilize in photos. We have found that some of the restaurants are ok with us taking our couples in to shoot photos and when the Sno Zone is open, our couples can even share a snow cone together, which can make for some cute pics at the end of their session too!
- Kelley Agricultural Historical Museum – The Kelley barn is located in Sharpsville and it’s great for couples who want more of a country feel to their photos and those who want to incorporate open fields at sunset for some fabulous engagement photos! Couples must call to get permission ahead of time and there is a nominal fee to shoot on the property but the resulting photos are worth it!
- The Alexander Hotel – The Alexander is my go-to hotel for couples who love artistic, fun, colorful and whimsical photos! The hotel features a variety of art installations around the lobby that make perfect backdrops for photos and Plat 99 is one of the coolest bars in Indy with fun lighting and retro furniture.
If you’re still looking for an award-winning Indianapolis wedding photographer for your engagement and wedding photos, check out our website and give us a call, we’d love to chat with you and help you find the perfect place for your photo session!
Hey blog followers! Just a quick note to let you know that we’re canceling one of our VERY old phone numbers that we started out with back in 1994 (that was linked to a pager, can you believe it?! lol) but I know some of our old business cards are still floating around out there with the old number on it. If you’ve ever called us at 317-382-5264 please update your records to the NEW number which is my cell, it’s 317-409-1801. Thanks!! 🙂
Well this was an awesome way to start my day! I just found out that we won the Couples’ Choice Awards again! Woo hoo!! Pretty awesome to be among the top 5% of wedding pros on WeddingWire! If you or someone you know is engaged and needs a photographer, contact us! 🙂
Only 39 days until Valentine’s Day! What are you getting your significant other this year? How about surprising him with fun, flirty, sexy (but tasteful) photos of YOU? Get on our calendar SOON in order to receive your pics back in time for Valentine’s Day! http://erinhessionphotography.com/boudoir